Cemetery 1 (on S.P.Botkin street)
City cemetery 1 of the department for civil services of the Tashkent city municipality is located in the city center. Cemetery 1 (and simply "Botkin cemetery") is one of the ancient, historical cemeteries of Tashkent city. The cemetery is being considered as the European one with the first graves dated back to 1850. Unfortunately, the archive of the cemetery was burned down in 1918. The number of graves from 1918 to June'2000 exceeds 332 thousand people. The total number of maps is 29.
The cemetery is divided into 2 parts:
The "Communist" part of the cemetery has some graves of Greek political emigrants.
There is an Orthodox Church named after Saint Alexander Nevskiy on the territory of the cemetery. The senior priest of the Church is Настоятель храма отец Николай.
The cemetery is being visited highly irregularly. After the collapse of the USSR, many families left Tashkent. Many of them never come to visit the graves but there are some people who visit the graves of their relatives almost every year.
The state of graves and tombs is highly different from one to another. There are some really good-looking tombs maintained in a proper condition. But, there are also many graves that are not being visited by anybody.
There are some famous people whose graves are located at the cemetery:
copyright, 2003-2014 Agency for grave & tomb care services in Uzbekistan